The 19th Biennial International
Breastfeeding: An Ancient Art—A Modern Miracle
Hilton Washington and Towers
July 2-5, 2005
Preceded by: Physicians'
Seminar; International Mastery Symposium, June 29-July 1; World
Assembly, July 2-5; Peer Counselor and Program Administrator
BREASTFEEDING: AN ANCIENT ART—A MODERN MIRACLE
To order conference sessions on CD, visit this Web site!
We also have a post-conference press release LLL Leaders can use to share their activities with their local media.
We are continuing to add to our Technology Room Blog, and many of our bloggers are sending in final reports. We have also processed nearly all of our podcasts--hear what attendees, speakers, and others had to say--there's even music! And don't forget about the photos from the activities from the entire conference--see if anyone you know is featured.
La Leche League International announces its 2005 Conference theme: Breastfeeding: An Ancient Art—A Modern Miracle. Breastfeeding, an ancient art once passed on from woman to woman, ensured the survival of the human species for eons. As science made it possible for babies to survive without human milk, at least in industrial parts of the world, the practice of the art slowly began to wane. In many cultures women grew up and never saw a baby being breastfed. The Founders of La Leche League recognized that breastfeeding, though natural, was an art – an art that in a bottle-feeding culture needed to be revived and supported.
Referring to the fact that many women in her native Nigeria considered breastfeeding to be outdated, Gloria Okemuo, LLLI-trained Peer Counselor Administrator, wrote: “Unfortunately, most mothers of today consider breastfeeding something that belongs to the past. Indeed, it is an ancient art, which has been proven by scientific research to be a modern miracle.” Gloria's profound statement inspired the Conference team to adapt her words and use it as LLLI's Conference theme for 2005.
When the Founders of LLL set out to help mothers breastfeed, they knew in their hearts that breastfeeding was best for baby and for mother. Today, scientific research has proven beyond a doubt what they instinctively felt in their hearts: breastfeeding is the optimal method of infant feeding. Every day when you help a mother breastfeed, you are passing on an ancient art that produces a modern miracle.
Please join us! LLLI's 19th International Conference promises:
- Compelling sessions
- Cutting-edge evidence-based research
- Opportunity to network with parents and professionals around the globe
- The Seven Founders of La Leche League International
- World-class speakers
Learn More about the Conference!
- The 2005 Technology Room
- Listen to podcasts from the 2005 International Conference
- View photos from the 2005 International Conference
- Read the notes from the Open Space sessions at the 2005 IMS
- Comprehensive List of 2005 LLLI Conference Speakers and Topics: updated May 30!
- Scholarship Recipients
- Conference Flyer (PDF)
- Continuing Education Information
- Poster Sessions
- More Conference for Less Money
- Exhibit Prospectus and Contract
- Exhibit Prospectus for Physicians' Seminar
- Getting Ready for the 2005 LLLI Conference
- Leaders: Apply Now for a Scholarship and Make Your Dreams Come True
- Leaders: Take the Group to the Conference
- Fundraising around the World
- Ten Ways to Save Twelve Dollars a Week
- Will You Rock or Walk to Washington DC?
- Ten Ways a Leader Can Share the Conference Experience
- World Faire Information
- You Asked for It: New and Improved LLLI Breastfeeding Conference
- 2005 LLLI Conference articles in NEW BEGINNINGS
- 2005 LLLI Conference articles in LEAVEN