Chicago, Chicago, That Toddler Town!
LLLI Public Relations Associate
From NEW BEGINNINGS, Vol. 23 No. 3, May-June 2006, p. 132.
You are cordially invited to attend the LLLI Conference on July 20-23, 2007 in Chicago, Illinois, USA. The theme will be 50 Years -- Celebrating the Power of Breastfeeding. This event will be the culmination of a year's worth of festivities that commemorate the founding of La Leche League in 1956.
LLLI Conferences are fun for the whole family. Many families plan their vacations around this LLLI event so they are able to enjoy the town while in for the the Conference. Chicago is a city where you can savor any type of cuisine -- from Chinese food to famous Chicago style pizza. Attend some of the best theater, enjoy unparalleled shopping, or visit one of the many nationally acclaimed museums in Chicago. The city is also host to many attractions that connect learning and fun in special ways for children. The Hilton Chicago, where the Conference will be held, is a short distance on foot or public transportation from many attractions. Start planning your family vacation to Chicago for the LLLI Conference now. The following attractions are all places that the entire family can enjoy!
- Shedd Aquarium: The exhibits will provide your family with a close-up look into some of the world's richest ecosystems. Be mesmerized by the beauty of sea life as as you visit the Caribbean coral reefs, the Amazon river, the Pacific rocky coasts, and more. www.sheddaquarium.org
- Field Museum: This museum features exhibits to suit every interested mind: mummies in ancient Egypt; a bug's point of view in the Underground Adventure area; Sue, the oldest and most complete skeletal remains ever found of a Tyrannosaurus Rex; and more! www.fieldmuseum.org
- Adler Planetarium: Explore the universe through 35,000 square feet of exhibits that include scale models of the solar system, ancient astronomical instruments, spectacular sky shows, and other interactive adventures. www.adlerplanetarium.org
- The Art Institute of Chicago: This hot spot was recently named the best art museum for children in the United States. Indulge your love of art by viewing pieces by artists like Vincent van Gogh, Salvador Dalí, and Andy Warhol, and visit the family friendly Kraft Education Center for stories, interactive computer games, and special exhibits to explore world cultures. www.artic.edu
- Millennium Park: This 24.5 acre park includes beautiful gardens and world-class sculptures, and offers free concerts, exhibitions, events, and tours. www.millenniumpark.org
- Lincoln Park Zoo: One of the oldest zoological parks in the United States, this attraction allows children (and adults!) to watch and learn about animals from around the world. There are also interactive activities in the children's area, including the treetop climbing adventure. www.lpzoo.com
- Museum of Science and Industry: This museum features 14 plus acres of hands-on exhibits. Descend 600 feet to an operating coal mine, experience robots like us, or view a film at the five-story Omnimax Theatre. Children of all ages enjoy the world-acclaimed Colleen Moore Fairy Castle, as well as the miniature railroad exhibit. www.msichicago.org
- Navy Pier: Regardless of age, this attraction is a must see spot in Chicago. Whether you want to visit the only museum in the US devoted to stained glass or catch a ride on the 150-foot high ferris wheel, Navy Pier offers 50 acres of nonstop entertainment including parks, promenades, restaurants, and shopping. www.navypier.com
- Children's Museum: This acclaimed museum (located on Navy Pier) has an oversized urban garden where you will meet oversized insects, giggling flowers, and giant toadstools. It also features the Under Construction Exhibit, where children four and older become architects through using real tools and large-scale building materials. www.chichildrensmuseum.org
- The Magnificent Mile: Explore this stretch of North Michigan Avenue to find out why it's called "The Magnificent Mile." There's something for everyone with over 400 exclusive stores and boutiques and over 200 restaurants. Enjoy Chicago's famous architecture by boat, trolley, or on foot. www.themagnificentmile.com To find out how to purchase tickets that allow admission to many of these popular (and child friendly!) Chicago attractions for one low price, go to www.citypass.com or www.gochicagocard.com.